I’m following along with Tinkberbellknits and the monthly patchwork challenges (see here) and this month its the Union Square. As soon as I saw the block I got a little nervous because there are so many cuts and pieces. I immediately tried to find a foundation paper piece pattern but I could only find them for smaller blocks – this one calls for 12 inches 😦
After seeing how well Tinkerbellknits had done I felt a little boost and decided to give it a go tonight. Just cutting all the fabric was a bit of a chore for me…wow, there sure are a lot of pieces to this block! There are 3 color choices and making sure I didn’t get them confused required quite a bit of focus. I finally sat down and started sewing it all together after dinner – here’s what it looked like after the first 8 triangles were attached. I quickly realized I didn’t make the best color choice for the middle square 😦
I soldiered on following the directions for cutting and sewing the remaining pieces – no pictures of all that because I had to stop several times to rip out the seams and do them over because I kept sewing the patches in the wrong direction…grrr!
Finally, I got it all together but I had lots of problems getting it all to line up. It’s done but you can see I don’t have much seam allowance along the outside for sewing it to anther block. Oh well, I guess that’s a problem for another day :-s