This has been pretty productive week for me, both in sewing and running 🙂
After completing the blocks with different patterns of yellow and black I needed to attaching sashing and borders. I mocked up a few different options using my crude PowerPoint skills and decided that black would be the best color – and that was the fabric I had immediately available :-s
I also decided to change up the instructions a tad bit (sorry Amanda). Her pattern calls for a single accent block to be placed in the center of the sashing and since I had four different fabrics it was going to be difficult deciding which one to choose. So…instead of the single block in the center, I decided I would use each of the four fabric to add corner blocks. Here’s a picture of the completed top – I’m pretty happy with the outcome!
I think the black really makes the yellow pop but also adds some balance. Now, for the backing…I’m going to go shopping for some muted or marbled yellow. I’ve also made a mini accent block mimicking the blocks on the front that I’ll work into the backing somehow. It measures 12.5″ square – that probably doesn’t sound very mini, but the blocks on the front measure 23″ square. I also swapped the white out for black which should make this block pop on the yellow backing.
I’ve already got some ideas about how I want to quilt this…I just need to get the backing and get it basted so I can start 🙂
On the running front, I completed two runs this week and will be meeting my running buddies tomorrow to put in 9 miles – eeks! Our Half Marathon is right around the corner on May 16th!
Monday: I was planning to complete 3 miles but came in a little short
Wednesday: I planned on 4 miles (if I count the warm up & cool down I made it…lol)
Wish me luck for tomorrow!!