I just couldn’t wait until I went back for more fabric for the Patchwork Pumpkin table runner so I decided I would make a single pumpkin table mat with the fabric that I had…I have ‘instant gratification disease’!
Another reason for the single pumpkin – I realized I made my template in reverse after I cut out the first pumpkin. Its not really that big of a deal, I could just make the others the same way and no one would ever know. But I’ve been watching YouTube videos on needle turn applique, which I think is just a fancy way of saying the raw edges are turned under before being sewn to the background (please correct me if there is some other meaning!); and I think I want to do that on this table runner…hence the first pumpkin would be wasted.
So tonight I cut two 12 1/2″ squares and used Heat n Bond to set the edges of the first pumpkin on one of them. Then I ironed on the stem (I used some brown flower fabric that I thought wouldn’t work but it really does!) and then the leaf. I made a sandwich with the two squares and some batting, using spray to baste the layers. After debating with myself about whether I would ‘try’ FMQ on this square I decided WTH!
First I zigzagged around the pumpkin, stem and leaf and then did a few lines down the pumpkin to give it dimension. I had a little trouble with puckering at the bottom of the pumpkin…must figure that out before I do the rest of them.
I changed to my darning foot and set the machine for FMQ. I was quite nervous and my first few swirlies are a bit shaky but I tried to relax and just let it happen…soon it started to feel a bit more comfortable. I still wobbled several times but I have to say I’m pretty darn pleased with the outcome…yay!!
Here are way too many pictures of the finished product: