As mentioned here, I’m working on a memory quilt for a friend and each night this week I’ve deconstructed the shirts my she provided. I finally finished 13 shirts (lucky number?) and have enough bricks to layout my design.
I pulled the coverlet off my king size bed and laid it out on the floor to use as my template. In hindsight I should’ve turned the coverlet to the light side since I’m planning to use a tan solid for the sashing but alas I didn’t think of that until I was halfway done laying out all the bricks and I just didn’t have the energy to start over
I decided to go with 8 1/2 bricks per row x 18 rows – this will net a quilt approx 94×108 – WOW! This will be the largest quilt to date for me…I don’t even want to think about how I’m going to quilt this baby! I’ll get to that when I get to that :p
Here’s what it looks like all laid out on the floor
Now that I had the layout I started calculating how much fabric I’ll need for sashing and binding and of course I don’t have enough of the tan. I bought it before I knew I was going to use it for this purpose and only have 2 yards; after doing the math I’ll need at least 3 1/3 yards so I’ll buy 4 yards (I always get extra cuz you never know). I want to make sure I use the same dye lot for this quilt so I’m not going to mix what I already have with what I purchase.
I had to take a break from this project so I started cutting pieces to make the Sugar Block Club block of the month for Feb. I got all the pieces cut and then ran out of steam tonight…so I’ll finish it in the morning and post some pics.