The 10k that wasn’t

I had planned to run a 10k on Saturday. I paid for it over a month ago and even made sure everything was ready the night before. I charged up my Garmin and earbuds, set out my Gu and put the water bottles in the frig. I knew what I was going to wear and I mapped out directions to get there.

And then the alarm went off at 6:30am and I said “nope, not gonna happen”. I turned off the alarm and rolled over; as Paula at Never a Dull Bling put it: I chose sleep over running. I also kicked myself for the rest of the day for making that choice. Ugh!

So here I am with my next 10k scheduled for June 11. This one is going to be rough – I know that going in because it’s being held right here in my town and the neighborhood lives up to it’s name “River Hills”. I did a quick mapmyrun preview of the course…look at these elevation changes!!

rh10k

I’ve got 5 weeks to prepare so this time there are no excuses…GET ‘ER DONE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note, I’ve finished up another quilt. This one is for a charity drive being coordinated by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict called Hands2Help. I wanted to make a quilt that could be used by a male as well as female so the colors I chose were a little more deep and earthy. I’m really happy with how it turned out and I finished it with a few weeks left before the deadline…yay!

IMG_3129IMG_3130IMG_3128

I added a label tonight using the character function on my sewing machine…not too shabby!

20160502_200506

It appears I’ve picked up a new sewing technique…English Paper Piecing. One of the folks I follow on IG put up tutorial and I figured what the heck, let’s try it. It involves hand sewing which I’m not very good at so this would give me some practice. I downloaded the Hexagon templates, printed and cut them out and I made two before bed Saturday night… now I’m up to 36!

My brain needed a result to work toward so I picked out 7 and made a hexi flower shape and appliqued it to a 10″ layer cake square I had left over from another project…this has now morphed into a potential baby blanket.

pink v2

blue green

layout

I really like where this is going…and I’m using up scraps, WIN/WIN!

That’s about all for now…G’night!

8 thoughts on “The 10k that wasn’t

    1. Hi Melanie, Thank you! I’m not sure if there was an easier way but I cut out each diamond shape individually and sewed them together on the diagonal. The first couple were a learning experience but I got it down after that 😉

      Like

      1. Ah, I would have sewn several strips together, then cut them on the angle, like for a Lone Star quilt. I don’t usually like “stripping” but that is one application where I think it makes sense. Either way, it is lovely and I’m quite impressed.

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s