When I first sat down to write this post I didn’t think I’d gotten much accomplished this week but when I looked through my pictures I’m pretty happy with it all 😀
I worked pretty diligently on the commissioned t-shirt/memories quilt and got the top all completed…I had not incorporated 3D items before so that was a new challenge for me. The Mom wanted the crochet cap and the pixie dust pouch included in the quilt so I appliqued them onto some left over tshirt pieces – I like how it turned out! There was also one denim shirt that had embroidery on the pockets and rather unique buttons so I kept the front of the shirt, including the bottons (it’s almost dead center). The only thing I would change would be to better distribute the dark & light shirts…I think the top half is a little dark heavy – but – it’s done now and there’s no going back.
I took a break from the t-shirt quilt to make a few blocks. I wanted to try the Stripey Stripe block from The Honey Pot Bee so I pulled my Blueberry Park and got busy. Since I’m using layer cakes I had to sew a few pieces together to obtain the 16″ strip length but after that it was pretty darn easy. I will say I starched the heck out of the blocks before cutting the triangles which helped immensely.
Then a quilter I follow on IG put a call out for blocks to make a quilt for another quilter whose husband is in hospice care. Of course I had to help out and as luck would have it the blocks called for 3.5″ squares which just happened to be what came in my Sew Sampler box this month – it’s fate I tell ya! The first two blocks were made from my scrap bin but the other four are from Coney Island Moda Treat packs. The bottom right block really is a pretty blue, dang lighting! I had planned to put these in the mail yesterday but didn’t get to the Post Office in time so they’ll go out tomorrow.
I got some happy mail yesterday too…earlier this month I wrote about a ‘wine’ rug I made from fabrics I picked up at QuiltCon. I posted the wine rug picture on IG and tagged Marcus Fabrics as instructed and low & behold they pulled my name as a random winner…whoop, whoop! Yesterday I received my prize package and in it are more beautiful batiks 10″ squares and a coffee mug…I just had to snap a shot with my wine glass in the picture too, lol!
Friday night I decided it was time to pull out a very old WIP that had been waiting to be quilted for almost 2 years – yikes!! I mulled over what design I wanted to use, my regular meander just wasn’t going to cut it. I was stumped so I pulled out a book of quilting doodles I won last year: 180 Doodle Quilting Designs by Christa Watson and found the perfect design called Claire’s Rose. I was too tired to start on it then but I got to work on it Saturday…here’s a really bad picture 😦 I also added big loops in the borders. All that’s left to do is binding – I should get that done today.
And…last but not least I got three quilts spray basted today; they look a little wrinkled but I haven’t ironed them yet. The one on the bottom is the t-shirt/memories quilt and the two on top are the scrappy leaders & enders for Hands2Help charity challenge. I have one more quilt for H2H but I ran out of basting spray!! No worries, I ordered some online from Connecting Threads along with a few rolls of batting and it should be here next week – whew!
I basted these babies out on the deck and oh boy is it humid here in SC today – yuck! Luckily there’s a front coming through tomorrow that will chase the humidity away.
That’s it for now…I’m headed back to the sewing room where it’s nice and cool. 😀