The good old days of planning trips, vacations and weekend getaways are lost right now, so I decided to take a little quilting ‘trip around the world’. I’m not physically going anywhere, it’s actually a type of quilt making method I first saw on an old episode of Quilt in a Day from Eleanor Burns. Thanks to the internet, I was able to find it on YouTube.
This was my first attempt at a ‘trip’ and I thought I had it down after watching her video – and a handful of others as well. I picked out 9 different FQ fabrics and cut the 4″ strips…this is where I made my first mistake. I realized later the number of fabrics I was using would make my ‘trip’ extremely oblong shaped, ‘Doh!
I sewed the strips together and wanted to get as many trip strips from each so I subcut at 2.25″… it only occurred to me later this means there are more seams which again would make the ‘trip’ very narrow, double ‘Doh!
Once I laid out the first half, it finally dawned on me this was going to end up more like a table runner and less like a quilt!! I made an executive decision to adjust the second half by shortening the remaining strips…now my ‘center’ is off center.
I finished piecing the ‘off center Trip’ and then I pieced the left over strips and put them up on my design wall together… now I’m torn! I could piece them together which would make my Trip centered but I’d need to remove the two outside strips …or… leave it as is and make a pillow cover from the left over section. UGGGGH! I’ve left it up on my wall for now, hopefully I can make a decision in the next few days 😮
As you can see in the photo above, my Modern Puzzle pieces are still on the design wall. I paused that project while I played with the Trip. I went back to it over the last few days to square up the blocks and I’ve got the first two columns pieced. I should have the top done later today.
Some of these blocks are not quite the same size which is due to some of the fabrics being cut from the length side of the fabrics but also because I don’t sew a consistent 1/4″ seam. I made a purchase about a week ago that has helped with my seams – Seam Tape from Cluck Cluck Sew. These next two photos are from her website; the tape couldn’t be any easier to apply – it’s just like washi tape and you line the red line up with your needle. It’s promoted to help with sewing diagonally, like HSTs, but I haven’t used it for that yet. I’m just using the 1/4″ mark on the right side to ensure I’m getting a scant 1/4″ seam and it’s been working great!!
The only hiccup is my bobbin case, mine is right in front of the needle area so I’ve had to lift the tape each time I need to replace the bobbin. I’ll address this in the future by making cuts where the bobbin cover comes off. I’m actually dropping my machine off at a local shop on Monday to get it’s annual cleaning – ugh…I’ll be without her for a few days…now I wish I had purchased a backup machine 😉 It’s OK, I really need to give my sewing room a good cleaning and organizing …maybe this will give me the push to do it!! If all else fails I can always find another pattern and start cutting!!
That’s all for now…stay safe & stay sane…and have a great rest of your weekend 😀