UFOs Finished!

I’m so happy to say I finished TWO UFOs that have been sitting in the ‘to be
Basted/Quilted” pile for quite some time.

The first one is the smaller of the two and I finished the top back in April – it’s a free pattern called Puzzle Box from Christa Watson and this came entirely from my scrap bins

The lighting is a little off due to shade 😦 The backing came from leftover remnants, one is a soft lilac text and the other is a black & white flower print. I did very minimal quilting using a large swirl/double loop, it’s not great but it’s ‘good enough’ πŸ˜‰ This finished at 54″ square – I don’t have a home for it so it’ll go in the donation pile.

The next finish is a big one…it’s my Plaidish quilt!!! Woohoohoo, I’m so happy to finally have this done. This is another free pattern but this one is from Erica of Kitchen Table Quilting. I used a combination of fat quarters and my scrap bins and the top was finished way back in January!

(excuse the dead looking grass…we seem to have gotten some fungus 😦 )

I took these pictures this morning after finishing up the binding πŸ™‚ I used large remnant pieces of various green prints from my stash and a few fat quarters for the back…then I used leftovers from the backing to make the binding, WIN/WIN!

I did straight line quilting along the seams both horizontal and vertical. This puppy measures 65×84, I plan to drape this one across my bed in hopes of some cooler nights as we head into fall πŸ˜‰

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve been watching the US Open tennis tournament this past week…Yay! It’s so nice to have professional sports again as long as they can play safely with limited risk. The tournament moves into week 2 starting today…my favorites to win? Men: Dominic Theim Women: Victoria Azarenka

They’ve both been playing really well but time will tell…there have also been a few ‘upsets’ so anything can happen :-p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That’s all for now, have a great rest of your weekend and if you’re in the US:

Have a wonderful Labor Day holiday!!!

Wow, I got a lot done!

When I first sat down to write this post I didn’t think I’d gotten much accomplished this week but when I looked through my pictures I’m pretty happy with it all πŸ˜€

I worked pretty diligently on the commissioned t-shirt/memories quilt and got the top all completed…I had not incorporated 3D items before so that was a new challenge for me. The Mom wanted the crochet cap and the pixie dust pouch included in the quilt so I appliqued them onto some left over tshirt pieces – I like how it turned out! There was also one denim shirt that had embroidery on the pockets and rather unique buttons so I kept the front of the shirt, including the bottons (it’s almost dead center). The only thing I would change would be to better distribute the dark & light shirts…I think the top half is a little dark heavy – but – it’s done now and there’s no going back.

tshirtdone

I took a break from the t-shirt quilt to make a few blocks. I wanted to try the Stripey Stripe block from The Honey Pot Bee so I pulled my Blueberry Park and got busy. Since I’m using layer cakes I had to sew a few pieces together to obtain the 16″ strip length but after that it was pretty darn easy. I will say I starched the heck out of the blocks before cutting the triangles which helped immensely.

aprilhpb

Then a quilter I follow on IG put a call out for blocks to make a quilt for another quilter whose husband is in hospice care. Of course I had to help out and as luck would have it the blocks called for 3.5″ squares which just happened to be what came in my Sew Sampler box this month – it’s fate I tell ya! The first two blocks were made from my scrap bin but the other four are fromΒ Coney Island Moda Treat packs. The bottom right block really is a pretty blue, dang lighting! I had planned to put these in the mail yesterday but didn’t get to the Post Office in time so they’ll go out tomorrow.

linette

I got some happy mail yesterday too…earlier this month I wrote about a ‘wine’ rug I made from fabrics I picked up at QuiltCon. I posted the wine rug picture on IG and tagged Marcus Fabrics as instructed and low & behold they pulled my name as a random winner…whoop, whoop! Yesterday I received my prize package and in it are more beautiful batiks 10″ squares and a coffee mug…I just had to snap a shot with my wine glass in the picture too, lol!

win

Friday night I decided it was time to pull out a very old WIP that had been waiting to be quilted for almost 2 years – yikes!! I mulled over what design I wanted to use, my regular meander just wasn’t going to cut it. I was stumped so I pulled out a book of quilting doodles I won last year: 180 Doodle Quilting DesignsΒ by Christa Watson and found the perfect design called Claire’s Rose. I was too tired to start on it then but I got to work on it Saturday…here’s a really bad picture 😦 Β I also added big loops in the borders. All that’s left to do is binding – I should get that done today.

b&w

And…last but not least I got three quilts spray basted today; they look a little wrinkled but I haven’t ironed them yet. The one on the bottom is the t-shirt/memories quilt and the two on top are the scrappy leaders & enders for Hands2Help charity challenge. I have one more quilt for H2H but I ran out of basting spray!! No worries, I ordered some online from Connecting Threads along with a few rolls of batting and it should be here next week – whew!

3basted

I basted these babies out on the deck and oh boy is it humid here in SC today – yuck! Luckily there’s a front coming through tomorrow that will chase the humidity away.

That’s it for now…I’m headed back to the sewing room where it’s nice and cool. πŸ˜€