Checkerboard quilt

Well this was much more difficult than I thought it was going to be… Ugh!

I finally got around to finishing the Checkerboard quilt but doing it ‘pillow case style’ was not as easy as I pictured. The cotton fabrics on the front were fine…it was the streeeetchy fleece I used on the back that caused all kinds of frustration. After laying it out, sewing around the outside and then turning it right-side out I realized it was out of proportion. I chose to push through, I started doing stitch in the ditch quilting but when I got to the other side I had way too much fleece pushed beyond the cotton top! grrrrrrr. Clearly that wasn’t going to work! And then it took longer than I thought to rip that line of quilting out because apparently I’m really good at SITD – LOL!

I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, then I remembered a recent YT video from Jenny Doan about tying quilts! It was then I decided I would use embroidery thread and tie it. This was a first for me and I probably should add more but it’s done for now!

Here’s a shot I took before it was washed – you can see the way the fabric lays all uneven…it was worse on the back!

But a quick trip through the washer & dryer and it looks a lot better

The back is still a little uneven but I’m happy with it.

After I finished that I was itching to start a new project…

Earlier this year I signed up for monthly shipments of fat quarter bundles from The Fat Quarter shop. They were starting to really pile up so I pulled one out called Bloomington and made a quilt. I looked at the FQS free patterns and landed on Fat Quarter Fizz.

This is a pretty simple pattern and the top came together really fast. It’s not the same size as the pattern because the bundle only comes with 12 FQs and the pattern calls for 20…but it’s still a good lap size at 50×54.

I mulled over my options for backing and chose this pretty orangy-red I got from Connecting Threads a few months back. I only had two yards, I needed just a little more so I found a floral print from my FQ stash and made the back.

It’s all basted and ready for quilting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That’s about all for now. I hope you are safe and sound in your neck of the woods. Have a great rest of your weekend 🙂

Not a lot of sewing

I did not do much sewing this week 😦  Again choosing to procrastinate, ugh! I did piece the left and right sections of the tshirt quilt (no picture) and I did order the backing fabric for it…I guess that counts as something!! The customer wanted a neutral for the back and chose this tone on tone text – I love it!

chrissy backing

I also wanted to piece all the blocks for my Stoplight top so I could count February’s Scrap Attach as complete…but no, they sit in a stack mocking me! LOL

stoplight stack

I pulled my next Scrap Attack project for March – it’s called Briar Rose and it’s a free pattern from England Street Quilts. I need to see how much background fabric I have, that’ll determine how big I make it :-p

IMG_20180228_215715_623.jpg

And finally, I went on a little shopping spree for a new bullet journal binder. I made my first one using a placement from Walmart and some fabric…it’s fine but I wanted something a bit more sturdy with a snap closure instead of elastic. I was shopping online when I stumbled across a 50% off sale at JoAnns on Websters Pages Planners. Their website said they had at least 4 in stock so I hopped in the car…only to find there was really only 1 left on the shelf and not necessarily the color I wanted. But, I got it anyway. 😀

new planner

This is actually a 6-ring binder so I had to do a little altering to turn it into a travelers cover. I carefully removed the rings, covered the small holes with some matching stickers, then inserted my LT1917 into the back cover. From there I added a jump band and inserted the two other inserts I had in my homemade TN…and I LOVE it!!! It’s not real leather but I actually prefer it that way (no animals were harmed!).

websters

I can always go a little farther by punching holes in the spine and adding actual elastic bands to the binder but I’m good with this for now.

That’s about all for now…I plan to head into the sewing room to get something done today! ttfn…

 

2016 Finish

I’ve already finished my first quilt this year 😉 I started it last weekend and I just couldn’t stop until it was finished.

I purchased a book of baby/crib size quilt patterns called “Fat Quarter Baby” from the Fat Quarter Shop – O.M.G! These quilts are just too stinkin cute!!!

I flipped through the pages about 100 times before deciding on which one I would make first – Andrew, was my choice. It’s a cute little whale shape repeated three times and I had just the right fabrics in my stash to make it…in fact I made it completely from stash fabric, backing and all! I had some blue & white dot fleece left over from another quilt which was the perfect size for this quilt and I used the left over fat quarter pieces to make a scrappy binding…win, win, win!

IMG_2914IMG_2919I quilted this using a Scallop stitch on my Pfaff and modified it as large as it would go to mimic the look of water…I Love It!!!IMG_2915(sorry about the poor lighting – I really must do something about that!)IMG_2917This quilt doesn’t have a home yet but I’m sure I’ll get some interest when I post it on FB.[2.25.16 Edit: Andrew the Whale quilt was sold to a friend in Maryland]

I’m still working on finishing the HST Sampler QAL from 3and3quarters. I’ve got it basted and it’s next in line for quilting. I think I’m going to try FMQ stippling on each of the blocks and leave the sashing alone…at least that’s my plan for now, I might feel differently once I get started :-p

IMG_2920

Hope y’all are having a wonderful weekend!!

ttfn…