Baby blanket #4 has been basted and is ready to be quilted. I tried a different basting technique this time, I used basting pins – how novel! The few other blankets I’ve made I’ve used basting spray which worked well but I’m a little freaked about using them inside with the fumes and all – and the weather outside has been rainy for the last few days so I couldn’t take everything outside to spray baste.
Because of all that I decided to try pins, plus the blanket is small enough that I didn’t need hundreds of pins so it made for the perfect ‘trial size’. I first lined everything up and gave it a good all over pressing and then laid it out on the floor and started pinning in the middle and worked my way out. It was basted in no time – now it sits on my ‘design bed’ waiting for me to figure out how I want to quilt it.
I just love the all the happy colors on the top as well as the back – and as usual I don’t have an intended recipient. Once it’s finished I’ll post it on FB to see if any friends or neighbors would like to have it for their kid/grandkid.
I’ve also started following a “Quilt-Along-With-Me!” series posted by Amanda Rolfe of 3and3quarters – last night I finished the first block. It’s called the Father’s Choice Block and after watching her tutorial I was so inspired I pulled my fabrics and finished it in one sitting. I still need to make three more and because I was in such a hurry to make it I chose a fabric that I only had enough for one block…so the other three blocks will be made with coordinating fabrics – at least I hope they coordinate! The block is supposed to measure 23″ square…mine’s a little off 23×22 7/8 – close :-p
She gives some really great tips about pressing seams so they ‘nest’ when sewing it all together – I really need to focus on that a little more as I had some issues with my seams not pressed in the right direction. It worked itself out OK but I hope to improve when I make the other three.
That’s all for now…