I finished off the table runner this evening. As I mentioned earlier, I extended the binding seam on the front so when it wrapped around the back there was more equal distribution of fabric…and I like it much better!
I decided to use Pat Sloan’s method for sewing the binding by using a blanket stitch and the ‘mirror’ button on my new machine. In the video she stitched her binding to the back and wrapped it to the front…I did the opposite. It came out just fine because I used a dark brown thread and you can’t hardly see it on the front or the back (that helps hide mistakes too!).
Here are the final pictures…sorry for so many but I’m really tickled with how this turned out!!
The really cool thing is I no sooner posted finished pictures to Facebook & Instagram and I got an order to make one for my friend in California! And another friend called to tell me how great it looks and said she’s going to go buy fabric so I can make her one. I’m extremely flattered!!!
I played around with some other fabrics this evening and made another pumpkin, this time using a single fabric instead of patchwork…I think this may become another table runner, for no one in particular…yet 😀
First, I got in another run yesterday – it was a short one but I’m just trying to get back into a routine so I don’t want to push it too hard yet. I got out the door in around 8am while it was still cool but not cold. By the end of the run it was feeling quite nice!
I also got a bunch of new fabrics in the mail yesterday – I get so excited to open the packages, it’s like Christmas morning when I was a kid! I received the March shipment from my Fat Quarter Club and aren’t they just gorgeous! So fresh and spring-like! The colorway for March is Orange:
I also joined a virtual quilter’s yard sale on Facebook and bought a few pieces: one was an animal print fat quarter bundle and another is a yard of midnight blue star print. Four of the animal prints are going to be pieced together for the back of my Baby Animals quilt…now I just need to get some green for the binding. I have no idea what I’m going to do with the midnight blue fabric
I have one finished object (FO) to report: a baby blanket called Bunnies and Owls. I still have no idea who I’m going to give this to…it may go to charity.
Yay! O.M.G.! I can’t believe it’s done – woot woot! Can you tell I’m a little excited? LOL
I put the finishing touches on the quilt this evening and it’s now in the washer getting clean (geez, I hope it doesn’t fall apart—LOL!) Here are some pictures of the finished product:
I used a zigzag stitch while binding which of course shows on the back, but it blends in pretty nicely since the backing is mostly black. After I was 3/4 done with the binding I realized I was pulling it too far over the front and in many places the binding is almost not visible at all on the back Lesson learned – but I didn’t have the heart to rip it out 😦
Since this is my first full size quilt and it’s for my Mom, I’m sure she’ll understand…I hope so anyway! We leave Thursday morning for Maryland and I’ll be seeing my Mom on Friday when I take her for her next chemo/radiation treatment. I can only hope this quilt will keep her warm and comfy when she gets home.