Weathering the storm

I live about 20 minutes south of Charlotte, NC and for the past week we’ve been preparing for the effects of Hurricane Florence. This storm was traveling so slow it felt like it was never going to happen but Friday the winds started to arrive and yesterday we got heavy rain on and off. Last night the winds picked up a bit and we got even more rain…which is supposed to continue for the rest of today. We’re fortunate enough to live on very high ground so flooding won’t be an issue; rather we’re more worried about falling trees and losing power – so far, so good.

Of course I spent most of the time in my sewing room trying to keep myself occupied from my worries and I’ve got another small finish. I started this tumbler quilt several weeks ago when I finally broke down and bought the Accuquilt Tumbler die, I wrote about it here.

I’ve got about 4 quilts waiting to be basted but between the hot, humid weather and now this storm I just can’t get outside to use the spray basting…and I refuse to get down on the floor to pin baste! This tumbler quilt was the perfect size to glue baste on my ironing board so that’s what I worked on!

Here it is after I finished the quilting. I didn’t initially plan to quilt it so much but once I got started with the swirls I just kept going.

20180915_103519.jpg

And a little close up

20180915_103554

The backing is a flannel I picked up in Myrtle Beach earlier this year…I have to say, this made the FMQ a bit difficult because the backing would ‘grab’ or ‘stick’ to my sewing table/tray from time to time; it was the weirdest thing!

20180915_103608

And here it is all trimmed and bound – I stepped out on the front porch to snap a picture with natural light; it finished 34×43.

20180915_135317

20180915_135354.jpg

That’s all for this week…once the weather clears I’ll be focused on getting four quilts basted so I can get some quilting done. My first priority is the receiving blanket quilt for my great niece.

Have a happy day wherever you are!

 

 

Getting things done

As mentioned last week, I finished the top made of my great niece’s receiving blankets and had to order fabric for the backing…it arrived on Thursday. When I saw this fabric online I wasn’t sure if the lines were part of the weave or part of the print and I was a bit worried…

dotsy

Thankfully it’s part of the print and it gives the fabric a bit of a vintage look. Since this is 108″ wide I only need to make one cut and it will be ready for basting.

Next up, I continued to work on my Sept Scrap Attack project and made excellent progress…the top is done!!!

I took it outside to get a shot in sunlight

20180908_155642.jpg

And I gave the IG swirl a try

20180908_155734

And one more shot up on my design wall.

20180908_160944.jpg

I’m so tickled with how this turned out with all those happy, bright colors. It measures 63×72. This will now need to go into the ‘waiting’ pile as I prioritize finishing the receiving blanket quilt and working on the memory quilt commission project.

Speaking of that, I pulled all those shirts out last week and deconstructed them…now I need to get down on my bedroom floor and work on a layout – my knees and back are already dreading it!

20180909_082454

~~~~~~~~~~

An update on the house in Myrtle Beach: we’re supposed to go there next week to close on the house and I’d be so happy about that if it weren’t for a little storm called Florence! I just can’t believe our luck!!! 😦  So we’ll wait and watch to see what happens and hope the storm takes a hard right out to sea!!

florence

That’s all for now…enjoy the rest of your weekend 🙂