Woohoo! I finished putting together the commissioned t-shirt quilt top


I asked the client what she wanted for the backing fabric but she’s a little distracted as her father just had triple bypass surgery last week – thankfully, he’s doing well. I started looking around online and found a collegiate fabric for UVA and sent her the link. I told her No Rush, I just wanted to send it to her while I was thinking of it…she loved the idea so I ordered it yesterday.

With that project on the back burner I decided to work on another…while in Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago I visited a local quilting/fabric store with my friend. She had seen the Busy Bags I made last month for charity and wondered if I could make her one with a golf theme…I said sure! She found some fabrics she liked and I brought them home. Since I had a break from the t-shirt quilt I figured it was a great time to work on her bag. I cut all the fabric and fusible fleece one evening and put it together the next…voila’…done!

I can’t say I love the fabrics…but hey, it’s not mine so that really doesn’t matter!! 😉

golf bagv2


I was itching to start something new so I pulled out a FQ bundle and started looking up patterns. I really liked the look of Afternoon Tango and thought my fabrics would work well, but now I’m not so sure…ugh!


The pattern calls for 9 FQ and this bundle only had 8 so I added a coordinating fabric from my stash…however once I added it to the mix I didn’t like it at. all. so I pulled them out, hence the missing strips. Now I’m not sure whether to keep going or scrap this idea and turn the strips into something else…argh!

I’d love to hear your thoughts…Thanks!





Mug rug

I was in the mood to start and finish a project today and I’ve been meaning to make a bigger mug rug for my night stand so that’s exactly what I did.

I pulled a few FQs (fat quarters) from my stash, some had already been used a little, and cut 5″ squares. I made two rows of three and then sewed the rows together – that was just the perfect size. I pulled another (not so favorite) FQ from the stash and used a 10×14 piece for the backing. I decided I was going to use some left over pieces of batting for this project so I pulled three strips and zigzag stitched them together. I wasn’t really sure how that would work out but they pieced together pretty easily and didn’t cause me any problems during quilting…yay!

I pulled another FQ and cut strips for the binding. I tried a new technique when sewing the binding to the mug rug: instead of sewing the beginning and ending pieces together on the diagonal, I created a diagonal crease at the beginning and then tucked the ending piece into it.

Lastly, I tried my hand at FMQ in the center…with my 50 year old machine! Clearly it’s not made for FMQ!! Or maybe I’m the one who’s not made for FMQ! LOL

Here are the results:

Top of completed mug rug
Top of completed mug rug
Close up of FMQ on front
Close up of FMQ on front
Back of mug rug
Back of mug rug
Close up of FMQ on back - LOL!
Close up of FMQ on back – LOL!
Binding join using new method. I don't really care for the bulky look.
Binding join using new method. I don’t really care for the bulky look.