I completely missed posting last week and I had a really nice update on the Double Wedding Ring quilt I was finishing for a friend. As of last Sunday I had finished all the quilting, made the bias binding and machine stitched it the front of the quilt!! Woo hoo!!
The next step was to flip it to the back and machine stitch in the ditch from the front. Well, that was a lot harder than I thought!! I pinned and clipped to ensure I’d catch the edge but after doing about a quarter of one side I looked at the back and there were at least 4 places that were not secured!!! grrrrrr! I needed a plan B.
After debating what to do for several hours: should I keep going and address the missed spots after I was done or should I just hand stitch the binding to the back? I have never hand stitched binding because in my mind it takes too long BUT this quilt was screaming at me to DO IT!! So I listened 🙂 I pulled up a few videos on YouTube to be sure I knew what to do, I put on an audio book and spent time on & off the rest of the day hand sewing the binding.
I started where the machine stitching stopped and when I got all the way around to that section I removed those stitches as I went along. Surprisingly, it didn’t take as long as I thought it would and my hand only cramped a few times – clearly I was holding the needle too tight! LOL
Oh and thank goodness I had these little things stored away to protect my finger tip. I think I got them a few years ago in a Sew Sampler box from Fat Quarter Shop.
After I finished the binding it was time to run the quilt through the rinse cycle to remove the water soluble marker from the flowers. Washing/rinsing a quilt for the first time always makes me nervous, especially so this time because I was not familiar with any of the fabrics used in the top and the backing fabric was a saturated color. I dropped 5 color catchers in with it and I’m happy to report everything came out great 😀
Here’s the big reveal – in the first one I have it draped across my king size bed and in the second one DH is holding it up outside
I mailed it off to it’s owner on Wed and to my shock and amazement she called me the next day to say it had arrived!!!! Wow, maybe USPS is turning a corner? The package didn’t have to leave the state of SC but I still didn’t think it would arrive in one day!
She’s going to let her mother open the quilt since it was her work of art; I’m anxious to hear what she thinks about the finished product 😉
I wasted no time starting a new project! I had said I wanted to make the August Color Block pattern and I knew I had 2 green color blocks left over from a few months earlier so I started to make more. It was really nice to get back to some cutting & piecing after focusing on all that quilting! Here’s the status so far
In other news, my poor little Sammie has developed another problem this week, something called HotSpot. I had never heard of it before but I’ve learned it’s an allergic flare up on the skin from any number of possibilities… we’ll probably never know what caused it. Hers is located on her back between her hips, I noticed it Wed night before bed, her hair was matted in that section but I couldn’t see anything so I washed the spot and noticed it felt very warm to the touch. In the morning it was all crusty again and this time it was discolored mucus. I called the vet and they got her in that morning. They shaved the area so they could see what was going on and there it was… all red and inflamed…ugh!!! This little girl cannot catch a break!! They gave me cleansing pads, steriod spray, antibacterial ointment along with antibiotic and pain pills. I have to clean and treat the area 2x/day and she is so uncomfortable when I do it… breaks my heart!!!!! I’ll spare you the pictures 😦
That’s about all for now… enjoy the rest of your weekend