Every now and again I get on a kick to finish projects I’ve left untouched and it appears I’m having one of those moments. In my last post I said I was itching to start a new project and I not only started one but I finished it too!!
Several months back I dug into my scrap bins and cut a ton of 5″ squares, since then I’ve made several quilts but I still had many squares left. I pulled them out last week and sorted them into light and dark and laid them out in an offset pattern; within a few days I had the top finished!!
The next day I pulled a beautiful purple print from an old Denyse Schmidt line out of my stash for the back and got it all basted.
I didn’t want to use my standard Dove Gray thread color so I pulled a pink from my stash and used that for the top and in the bobbin. It blends in pretty nicely on the back while giving a little pop to the top. Since I had all those perfect squares to fill, I went with a Heart Strings quilting motif and I love it!
I can’t imagine how I would be handling this pandemic and self isolating if I didn’t have my quilting hobby!! And even with that, I’ve still had a few days of gut-wrenching anxiety about the foreseeable future. I’ve experienced anxiety in the past but it usually was when a loved one was having a health crisis…all this COVID stuff feels like it’s been going on forever and I can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel – yet. I’m usually a pretty positive person and have always tried to look at things from the ‘bright side’…that’s getting harder each day this drags on. Ok, enough about that, let’s get to the good stuff!!!
Last week I was struggling to figure out how I wanted to quilt the monochromatic Plus top…shortly after posting I landed on a design and got to work. It went pretty quick and I really, really love how it turned out. Here’s the backside, you can see the ‘Heart strings’ quilting better
I decided to use yellow mini bracelets fabric for the binding to pull out the little bit of color in the top, then I took it outside for some photos before running it through the wash.
Once that was done I turned my attention back to the Safelight case sets. I pulled fabrics and supplies for four more and got started.
Here they are assembled except for velcro, those little tissue holders are so simple to make and I love how the trim looks!
I’ve got six sets completed…now I just need to figure out how to get them to Carole! I really don’t want to go into the Post Office but I’m not sure how else I’m going to get the envelope/box and get it mailed…ugh!
After those were done I started playing with all the 5″ squares I still have…I’ve been wanting to try a color wash style quilt like I’ve seen on Exuberant Color’s blog so I separated some of the squares into light, med & dark and put them up on my design wall…not sure it works as well with these larger squares but I’ll keep playing with it.
Like many others I’ve been cooking a lot more often and I decided last week I wanted to bake some cookies. I usually only bake cookies once a year during the holidays but I wanted something sweet so I got to work.
Unfortunately the batter really didn’t turn out, I think I messed up measuring the flour and it was too loose. I went with it anyway!! All was going fine until I pulled one pan out of the oven and thought I was reaching for the next pan to put in (without a pot holder!) – except I picked up the pan I had just pulled out O U C H!!!! My right index finger and left middle finger got it the worst but thankfully nothing that needed medical attention!!!
The weather has been lovely the last few days, low 70’s and no humidity so we’ve been eating dinner on the screened porch. Yesterday I put up a new hummingbird feeder and as we sat there eating we had our first visitor!!! I was not fast enough with my phone to get a picture of him sitting on the feeder but you get the idea here
That’s about all for now…have a great rest of your weekend!!