5 miles and a sewing finish

Although I haven’t been running with any regularity, my running buddies got me out yesterday for a 5 mile run. Now mind you, we’re signed up for a 10K next weekend (!) so it’s necessary to get in a bit more distance…but the most I’ve run for the last two months is 4 miles. I wasn’t sure how my legs & stamina would hold up but I was going to give it a shot.

We decided to go to Riverwalk in Rock Hill to run the path along the river – I really should’ve stopped to take a few pictures during the run but I never think of that until I’m writing about it here :-s  Anyway, we got started about 8:15 am and there was plenty of shade so it didn’t feel too awful…but I could tell the humidity was already starting to creep up.

I had my Garmin with me and just as we were getting ready to start I got the dreaded “battery low” beeps! Oh no!! Well, at least I had my phone and the C25K app (which I usually only use for interval cues) so I connected it to GPS and we were on our way. I started the Garmin too knowing full well it would die before we finished…and sure enough it stopped at 1.81 miles. I loaded the C25K for 3:2 run:walk intervals and all was well until I hit about 3.8 miles…I took an extended walk break and then picked back up to finish the rest of the distance on cue.

Overall, I did pretty well but I’m feeling a bit ‘creaky’ today – I plan to get out at least once this week before the 10K next weekend…yeah, that’s my plan 😉

8.15.15 FB c25k

I’ve also been sewing on another Pumpkin table runner and I finished that off today. Since taking the owner’s class about my new sewing machine I feel much more confident changing the settings, stitches and presser feet. I whizzed through appliqueing on the last two pumpkins and did FMQ (free-motion quilt) on the background. I joined the finished blocks together using strips and put the final touch on with the binding.

I really like this table runner too…it’s a slight variation from the first but still pretty much the same:

side by side
Side by side with the first table runner

#2

close up
close up
The back side
The back side – the fabric is actually a darker shade than in this picture, I guess the flash was too close

Well, it’s back to the sewing room to clean up the space so we can break down the bed and get ready to put in my new cutting/crafting table – squeeee!. I finally decided to buy a couple of bookcases (from Walmart) and a table top (from IKEA) to make a DIY table…it’s supposed to look like this (found on Pinterest):

table

We’re going to break the bed down but it will have to stay in the room because we don’t have anywhere else to put it. I’ve decided to put the mattress and box spring up against the wall with the tall side up and use the back of it for a ‘design wall’. Ha…we’ll see if that plan works out!

ttfn…

Friday Finish

Technically, I finished late last night so I’m gonna take liberties and call it a Friday Finish.

I’ve had a baby blanket topper sitting around since March; I even pieced the back and had them all rolled up together waiting for the inspiration/motivation to finish it. I went to the ‘Owner’s class’ at the sewing machine store yesterday and learned a ton about using my new machine…it’s really cool what it can do! I also got some inspiration from some of the quilts hanging there and the lovely lady who was my instructor. She’s an extremely experienced sewer/quilter and she showed me how to use some of the decorative stitches as the quilting stitches which made me want to run home and try it…hence I pulled out the quilt top from March.

For some reason I’m just not in love with this blanket…I like the fabrics on their own but I think it’s the layout that just makes me think ‘eh’. And the galaxy fabric on the back is really, really cool…I even tried to find more of it back in March so I could cover the whole back but no luck (I found it in the remnants bin at Hobby Lobby). I think the other reason I’m not in love is because of the drastic difference between the top & back…BUT…it’s done now and I can move on!

top

back

closeup quilting

label

I did few different things on this quilt:

  1. The batting is polyester…jury is still out whether I’ll use it again. I really like the loft and it doesn’t add any additional weight to the blanket. What I don’t like is the feel…it just feels kind of ‘cheap’.
  2. I used a decorative stitch to quilt the top…it’s not anything intricate, just a wavy line, but I like that I didn’t have to move the quilt around…just run it through the machine. It also makes the quilt look almost commercial…jury is out on using that stitch again.
  3. I used the alphabet stitches on my new machine to make the label…and you guessed it, jury is out on that too. Obviously I didn’t do a stellar job on lining everything up so that may factor into it.

Linking up with:

Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading out today on a mission: I’m going to IKEA to buy a table topper to use with some bookcases I ordered to make an official cutting table! I found the idea online and have FINALLY talked my husband into helping me do it – yay!  While I’m out I plan to swing by Mary Jo’s and pick up more backing fabric for the pumpkin table runners…I’ll buy extra this time :-/

ttfn…