I’ve been planning a lot of sewing over the last couple of days and my project queue is growing!
I’ve started another Patchwork Pumpkin table runner, this one is already sold to a friend in CA. I put the patchwork squares together tonight and will start cutting out the pumpkins tomorrow. I’m hoping to have this one completed by the end of the week…that’s do-able,I think 😉
I entered a drawing for fabric and thread being hosted by Robert Kaufman on Instagram. The requirements were to make a specific patterned block using either Kona fabrics or Essex Linen. Since I had a FQ bundle of Kona solids I pulled that out and made the block last night. It measures 20×20! Now that I’ve made that big block I think I’ll make 3 more to match and call it a baby blanket.
I joined another quilt along…this one is being hosted by “SewFreshQuilts” and it’s this adorable and aptly named “Dog Gone Cute” quilt. Thankfully it doesn’t start until Sept 1st so I have some time to prepare…whew!
Lastly, back in early July I finished the quilt tops for Grandson #1 and Grandson #2. A friend of a friend recently purchased a Long Arm quilting machine and she offered me a break to quilt both blankets…so I took her up on it. I just got the quilts back tonight and they look FANTASTIC! I haven’t taken any pictures yet and I still need to trim and put the binding on so I’ll have plenty of pictures in a few days…yay!!
I almost forgot to post about this!! I received notification over the weekend that I was randomly selected in a prize drawing for a $50 gift certificate to the FatQuarterShop.com!! WooHoo!! I’m so excited to go shopping and honestly I’ve already been out to the website several times salivating over what I might purchase – it’s SO HARD to decide!!
How did I enter? I was supporting one of the quilting bloggers I follow Late Night Quilter and the 2015 New Quilt Blog Hop she posted about. I followed the instructions (which were very simple) and voila’…I’m a winner!!
I’ll probably wait a few days to use my gift certificate just to be sure I don’t make any ‘rash’ decisions…lol!
I’ve been working on a few blocks this week…first up, I finished piecing the second Granny Square block in black, white & gray and I’m still in love:
I’ve got a total of 6 FQs that I can cut up for these blocks so I guess this will be my next finished top. Here’s the 3rd block laid out, I need more white squares to finish it but you get the idea:
Thanks so much to Amanda of 3and3quarters for turning me on to this block!
I also pulled some FQs to complete the patchwork challenge with Tinkerbellknits – July is Old Maid’s Puzzle. I was a little nervous about cutting triangles and sewing on the bias…I’ve been known to s t r e t c h my fabric! I was really, really careful this time and I think it turned pretty well:
Being that it was ‘National Running Day’ I most certainly needed to get a run in today. I almost bailed out of it when I looked outside this morning…overcast with some rain showers. But – the upside was cooler temps and a light breeze so, I kicked my excuses in the teeth and got out the door!!
I’ve been targeting 30 min runs during the week so I knew it would be short-n-sweet. After my warmup walk, I started my Garmin, the C25K app and the 165 BPM music I had downloaded (so much to remember!). The quicker tempo made a difference, it was much easier to keep my steps in rhythm with the beat however I think I can still go a little higher/faster.
I made a short stop during mile 2 to visit with one of the neighbor’s dogs…she’s such a sweet little girl, I had run past her the last couple of times and she just looked so sad! Needless to say, I think it hurt my mile 2 time…oh well! The cloud cover and the light breeze made it a pretty enjoyable run even though the humidity was up.
Tonight I’ve started working on the Patchwork challenge for June from Tinkerbellknits; it’s called Joseph’s Delight. I knew I would have issues trying to sew all those little pieces together so I improvised and used paper piecing for the two sections highlighted in blue:
Here’s what I did: I knew those sections needed to be 3.5″ (unfinished) so I drew a square that size and then marked off the lines that I needed to sew…lo and behold it worked…yay!! I also used the faster/easier method for making HST – I cut 4″ squares of each fabric color, laid them right sides together and sewed a 1/4″ on either side of the center diagonal line. This made two HST from each pair; then I squared them up to 3.5″ (that seemed like the hardest part!).
I’ve got all the pieces laid out on the cutting mat just waiting to be sewn together – that will have to wait until tomorrow night as I’m a bit sleepy now which means I would make all kinds of mistakes if I continued…lesson learned the hard way!
Oh boy, this one is really tough…especially for a beginner! From a distance it doesn’t look too bad but once you zoom in you can see all the mistakes. I tried to do a ‘scant 1/4″ seam’ but I just can’t figure out how to do it consistently and because of that all my intersections are off…way off! On top of that I made mistakes cutting the pieces and didn’t have enough of the Cherries fabric. I didn’t want to re-cut the small triangles (because it was late and I was tired) so I pulled some matchingsimilar different fabric and cut the larger triangles, I should’ve known it wasn’t going to look right! ugh!
And don’t even get me started on sewing the 3rd & 4th long strips for the frame!!! I had to read the instructions twice and I still didn’t really get it until I just started sewing…I kind of figured it out but because the seams weren’t ‘true’ my frame was a bit wonky 😦
Guess I’ll be giving the ‘alternate selection’ a try! LOL