A little more progress

I finished the Esmerelda top this past week and I even got it basted yesterday…I plan to spend a good part of today knocking out the quilting and maybe even get it bound. I would really like to get it in the mail next week 😉

a3c30d497d018650604a59bfbc5d3bf4.0

I also made a receiving blanket with some of the left over fabric!

img_20190825_084052

Even though I have so many projects in flight…I couldn’t stop myself from starting a new scrappy project – ugh!! I didn’t have enough energy to work on one of those projects but I wanted to sit down and sew…so… I pulled out my yellow scrap bin and just started sewing some of the scraps together. I kept adding pieces and strips until I had a piece big enough to cut a 10″ square. And then I made more… 6 in total! I have no idea where this is going but it sure is fun!

img_20190824_210251_897

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last two weeks of visitors caught up with me and the scale…I knew I was going to be up by a few pounds so I chickened out and skipped my WW meeting!! I’m already back on track and I’ll feel better about weighing in next week :-p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That’s about all for now, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

 

Weathering the storm

I live about 20 minutes south of Charlotte, NC and for the past week we’ve been preparing for the effects of Hurricane Florence. This storm was traveling so slow it felt like it was never going to happen but Friday the winds started to arrive and yesterday we got heavy rain on and off. Last night the winds picked up a bit and we got even more rain…which is supposed to continue for the rest of today. We’re fortunate enough to live on very high ground so flooding won’t be an issue; rather we’re more worried about falling trees and losing power – so far, so good.

Of course I spent most of the time in my sewing room trying to keep myself occupied from my worries and I’ve got another small finish. I started this tumbler quilt several weeks ago when I finally broke down and bought the Accuquilt Tumbler die, I wrote about it here.

I’ve got about 4 quilts waiting to be basted but between the hot, humid weather and now this storm I just can’t get outside to use the spray basting…and I refuse to get down on the floor to pin baste! This tumbler quilt was the perfect size to glue baste on my ironing board so that’s what I worked on!

Here it is after I finished the quilting. I didn’t initially plan to quilt it so much but once I got started with the swirls I just kept going.

20180915_103519.jpg

And a little close up

20180915_103554

The backing is a flannel I picked up in Myrtle Beach earlier this year…I have to say, this made the FMQ a bit difficult because the backing would ‘grab’ or ‘stick’ to my sewing table/tray from time to time; it was the weirdest thing!

20180915_103608

And here it is all trimmed and bound – I stepped out on the front porch to snap a picture with natural light; it finished 34×43.

20180915_135317

20180915_135354.jpg

That’s all for this week…once the weather clears I’ll be focused on getting four quilts basted so I can get some quilting done. My first priority is the receiving blanket quilt for my great niece.

Have a happy day wherever you are!

 

 

Back in the groove

I failed to mention last week that while visiting my great niece her Momma gave me her old receiving blankets and asked me to make a toddler bed size quilt because she would be transitioning into one pretty soon.

I began thinking of a cute pattern and landed on a simple 4-patch/square design and without even hesitating I cut all the blankets into 10.5 squares and 5.5 squares…too bad I didn’t take a picture of those lovely stacks 😦

Here are the blocks on the design wall…and on the table because I couldn’t get them all to fit on the wall – this is going to be 70×90

20180827_201645.jpg

I spent all day yesterday piecing it together…while watching US Open tennis matches. Here’s the completed top on my bedroom floor.

img_20180901_152141_104

The lighting is horrible and the angle is pretty bad too but it was just too humid to take this outside for pictures – seriously, the deck was still damp from the overnight dew even at 6pm! ugh…I can’t wait for FALL!

I didn’t have anything big enough for the back – I didn’t want it to be pieced…so I hopped online to search for 108″ backing and found the perfect fabric! So this project will be put on hold until it arrives.

dotsy

Speaking of fall, I pulled my September Scrap Attack project…and look at this beautiful picture! Unfortunately it’s just a picture link on Pinterest so there’s no pattern or even a name I can give credit 😦

img_20180901_193452_627

Oh my…at first it looks like a lot of work but once I dissect it, it’s really just 9-patch blocks with heart applique blocks. I’m not going to make a bed size quilt so I won’t have near as many blocks to make.

I’ve already printed a heart shape from Google

heart-outline

…and I’ve already cut 3.5″ strips from my scraps to sew into groups of three…using a bit larger size will (hopefully) give this a bit of a modern touch – and the fabrics will help with that too 😉 Once the strips are sewn, I’ll cross cut them into 3.5″ strips and assemble them into 9-patch blocks. I’ve also got a stack of smaller pieces of fabric I can cut into 3.5″ squares if I need more.

20180902_082624

As if that’s not enough to work on…I have another memory quilt commission – here are three bags of shirts I need to deconstruct and apply stabilizer before determining the layout…she wants it to be random placement :-p

20180902_082739

And lastly, just because…here’s Miss Campbell at almost 10 months ❤ ❤ ❤

b0062d0b1e0f570aa2d548f58990a871-0